A life coach can be one of the best investments you’ll ever make, but it’s also possible to do-it-yourself and reach your goals on your own. Here are 8 tips on what you can do to help with personal growth.
1. Take 100% responsibility for your results. Accepting that you’re in control of both your success and failures is a way of owning up to the amazing power you have within you. This is the foundation to creating the right mindset for success.
2. Be ‘at cause’ not ‘at effect’. People that are at effect are always blaming others, making excuses or looking for reasons. People at cause take action. Think of a few situations in your life where things are not going as well as you’d like, are you at cause or at effect? How can you change the situation so that you are at cause?
3. Do things that will empower you – set S.M.A.R.T goals, keep a diary of your progress, acknowledge your achievements, get a mentor or buddy and be a mentor for others. A S.M.A.R.T goal is:
- Specific – target a specific area for improvement.
- Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress.
- Assignable – specify who will do it.
- Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.
- Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved.
4. Be open to change. Be willing to do whatever it takes to achieve success. This is the key. With enough behavioral flexibility, you can greatly increase your chances of achieving your goals. Embrace change and new ways of doing things.
5. Break down barriers. If you find yourself facing a dilemma, ask yourself “what stops me?” Quite often it’s often a limiting belief and it’s only yourself that gets in the way. So then ask yourself “what would happen if I could…..?” Then imagine you can, and go for it.
6. There is no failure only feedback. By taking the lessons from the mistakes you may make, it will enable you to continue to improve and remain motivated.
7. Be grateful. Start the day positively by thinking of all the things you are grateful for. The more you practice gratitude the more you will find things to be grateful for.
8. Take Action. Without action there are no results. Even if it’s only a small step each day, have a plan of action and keep going.