I’ve just returned from an 8 day intensive program in India with Sue Knight, where I completed my NLP Trainers Training. Sue’s style of training is different to what I have experienced in my more recent corporate world training. Her style of training is experiential and fun, which is why I was drawn to Sue to model the way in which she engages her participants. I plan to use the same engaging techniques based on the Kolb Learning cycle in my own workshops and training.
All too often I hear of people returning for courses having indulged too much on food and alcohol and completed neglected their exercise regime. As a participant on course, it’s also our own responsibility to ensure that we look after ourselves to get the most out of the sessions.
It’s not just what goes on during the classroom that matters, but how we take care of ourselves before and after as well. Here are a few tips on how to help get the most out of your training courses:
- Start the day positively. Wake up early enough to do something that energizes you in a positive way. I started most days at sunrise with a yoga session at the beach or a long walk just appreciating nature and being grateful for all the gifts that life brings.
- Drink water. Throughout the day stay hydrated by drinking lots of water (at least 2.5 liters). Water helps us stay energized.
- Eat clean. Never skip breakfast, always take healthy snacks (I took my own raw nuts with me) and eat lean proteins and vegetables.
- Be present. This means having your awareness completely centered on the present. You are not worrying about the future or thinking about the past. When you live in the present, you are living where life is happening and you will fully engage in the experience of learning.
- Exercise. Take time out for some form of exercise, it’s a great way to unwind. This time I trained at sunset and also invited other participants to join me for my beach work outs.
- Reflect. At the end of the day write a few points in a journal on what your key leanings are and what you may want to do with them.
- Have fun! During the training I had fun with the team and with a trainer like Sue that wasn’t difficult at all 🙂
No matter how busy you get, make time for the things that are important to you and this starts with looking after yourself.